Tuesday 1 May 2012

Half Full


My mom has had a very hard life full of trails. I remember her telling me this story of how she was talking to someone and they had told her,
"You have so many trails. I don't know how you can cope with all of them."
I love my mothers reply! She responded with,
"Really? I have always felt really blessed!"
They both looked at each other like the other one was crazy.

My mom has told me this several times and I have always admired the way she thinks- the glass is always half full!

I also am very blessed. I know that I am happy to be alive!

When I was 6 I had gone to a pool party and almost drowned in the deep end. I did not know how to swim and I had let go of the wall.

When I was 12 years old, my family, immediate and extended were in an extended van on a road trip. This was when we lived in Ohio. At a rest stop in Iawo, the van caught fire and everything burned- about a weeks worth of clothes, books, souvenirs and about 15 cameras- pictures from my uncles wedding, all gone! The van was gone in ten minutes flat! We all thanked God that we were not inside. My mom didn't even want to stop at the rest area. She wanted to drive the next 5 miles or so to the gas station. Imagine if we were there instead...

When I was 16 we just moved into a house. Here we had a gas stove. We hadn't left the house in a few days because we were still trying to get everything sorted. One of our neighbours had come to see how we were getting on. Upon the opening of the door, she smelled gas and was frighten for us and called a repair man straight away. He showed a few hours later. Upon arrive he smelled it quite strongly as well.
"Have you been here all day??"
"Yes." I replied
He has a shocked face.
"You should be dead! Whatever you do, do NOT light a match!"
I wasn't about to tell him we lit one for lunch about 2 hours ago....
So not only was the gas supposed to kill me and my family, but the lit match was really supposed to kill me and my family and possibly our neighbour!

A few years ago I went on a bike ride with my brother. I hadn't ridden a bike in over ten years! As I started riding i thought to myself Wow, to ride a bike, really is to 'ride a bike'! So my brother and I were to go on a biking trail out in the woods. At one point, there was a steep hill with a sharp curve. Turns out, I was on a mountain bike- with no brakes.... I went out of control and even though the path curved, I did not. Instead I flipped with the bike flying over my head and we continued to roll down the hill. I remember thinking, Where is Ben?? He was right behind me! Why is he not here? I then saw him pass me and I remembered that for his safety, he had to continue before he could back track to me. Ben!!!! was all I was thinking. I knew I needed his help. I couldn't stop rolling with the bike. I hurt. I finally came to a stop and only about 30 seconds later, Ben was there by me. He helped me up. Where we were riding, it was really woodsy. As he helped me to my feet I looked around and went to examine my very hurting body. To my astonishment, I had only a very tiny scratch on my arm and a bruise on my hip. I had looked at the 'path' I had done in the leaves- impressive I thought! But I also noticed that in these very woodsy woods, where I had fallen, was the only clearing and I had stopped right in front of a huge boulder!
In a heartbeat, I felt blessed!

I must have a work to do in this life. I should have died a few times. I have had a few nasty falls with no scars, and barely a scratch or bruise. I am very blessed.

All these things are physical, but I have been blessed in more than that. I have been blessed with knowledge and wisdom and spiritual strength. I have been blessed to be born into a Latter Day Saint family, I have been blessed into a good family that loves me dearly. I have been blessed with good friends. I have been blessed to never need anything important- meaning that I have always had just want I needed to survive. I have been blessed to always have a roof over my head. I have been blessed to never go hungry. I have been blessed to just always have enough money to pay for my bills.

I might not have an iPhone; I might not have the perfect body; I might not be rich in money.
But all in all, I am very happy with my life.
Because I am rich in blessings- even when and if I might not feel I am deserving of them.
God loves and He protects me and blesses me everyday.
The glass is always half full, if not more!

No comments:

Post a Comment